Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Computer Clothing? Constant Communication & Companionship? Commonplace.

In the futuristic novel Rainbows End, you can basically wear a computer, through clothing incorporated with hardware.  As we discussed this idea in class and how society is reaching a point where we could always carry a computer, I thought to myself, we already do.  

Cell Phones.


True, cell phones are not full-out computers, but every day they get closer to this point.  And each and every day, we come to rely more and more on our phones to gather information.  Right now, smart phones have the capability to perform multiple advanced computing tasks.  A smart phone allows the user to run applications under a complete operating system.  Below are some videos explaining some of the features of one of the most popular smartphones, the iphone 4.




These cell phones allow people to look up all sorts of information at the click of a button from anywhere that they receive service.  My family members and friends who have smartphones, instead of other cell phone models, seem to be even more attached to these "mini computers," which also include apps and games simply to entertain and fill time when bored or waiting.

Now, for story time.  The reason I was inspired to blog about cell phones today is because I have recently found myself without my cell phone.  I do not have a smartphone.  My phone is called a feature phone, a kind of predecessor to the smart phone in its range of capabilities.  I have a R500 Samsung Hue, which I use to make phone calls, keep track of appointments on my calendar, a calculator, the occasional weather checker, and my personal alarm clock.


Last Friday, the charger for this little device, that I am reliant on for so many circumstances, broke, leaving me with a dead phone today.  Before my phone died, I had kept it turned off only turning it on to check for voice mails.  It has been an odd feeling to not have the security of knowing that you can always call someone or someone can contact you when needed.  During my lunch break at work, I decided to check my voice mails to find that I had five messages from loved ones, friends, and my boss trying to contact me.  Clearly in our society, the cell phone has become an expected extension of the human body.

Now, you may have noticed earlier that I did not mention text messaging as a use of my cell phone.  That was not by accident.  I do not have text messaging.  My particular phone model has the capability to text, but texting is blocked on my phone plan.  This means that I do not even receive a notification that a person attempted to send me a text.  In my experience, most cell phone users (of all ages) tend to assume that everyone has texting.  My new boss offered to text me her cell phone number so I would be able to reach her while she was out of town.  My English professor asked if he could simply notify our class members through text messaging.  The way that we communicate is obviously changing.  As we become a more technologically reliant society, we appear to be forgetting how to function otherwise, or/and become frustrated with those who do not keep up.  Where does this leave us?  Hopefully, remembering what a blessing technology is in our lives...without forgetting how to rely upon ourselves.


1 comment:

  1. A great case in point about how we are "wearing" computers -- even if it is a limited "feature phone." And also how things break down when we are not all using the same communication systems, or rely too heavily upon them. Technology both creates and disrupts community with the new modes of communication.

    What you said about our phones and tech being extensions of our bodies -- that's a powerful concept that I hope to discuss in class some more.

    ReplyDelete