Wednesday, May 4, 2011

So Many Pages . . . So Little Time


240
 400
  56
  14
+53
763 pages of reading material this week!
+unknown amount of reading research material for an essay due on Friday
A LOT OF READING!!!


This is the reading load of the average English major college student.  Sadly, when trying to throw in other basic elements of the college experience such as food, sleep, work, and (if you are lucky) a social life, it is difficult to find the time to do all of that reading.

Sometimes, this leads to detail-oriented reading, when you do "quality" reading instead of quantity reading.  Students do not have the time to waste on reading 800 pages of information when some of that reading is not always applicable to what they are trying to learn.  The result is picking through a text searching for relevant information for what you are specifically trying to learn about.



There is one blessing that I have discovered through my audiobook experience with Rainbows End.  Multitasking is a beautiful thing.  Today, I listened while pinning lock cylinders at work, while walking to school and home, and while doing a big pile of dishes (our whole apartment keeps busy).  What ways have you found to help your reading experience as a scholar?  I would love some new tips, especially now that I am working more hours at my job than ever before.

1 comment:

  1. It is difficult to balance everything that life throws at you. There are just not that many hours in the day for everything that most set out to accomplish. I know I often stretch myself too thin and think that I can accomplish more than I really can.

    I think the only thing that one can do is to do the most important things first. Not everything will get accomplished and not everything will get read. When I study or read I often start with what is important and then move on to the things that are kind of important but that I would much rather do. The middle things somethings get ignored but I am more satisfied because I have done things that I needed to do and things that I wanted to do.

    ReplyDelete