Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Consuming To Create- The Power of Human Creativity

While talking with my co-worker about what my blog for my English 295 class was for, I used the phrase "consuming to create", which led to him telling me about a certain creator who I will speak more about later in the post.  We went on to talk about what is "creativity".  Everything that human beings create came from somewhere, whether that be the work of someone else, the person's surroundings, or the creator's personal experience.  To quote Albert Einstein, "Creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."

Like the creator Albert Einstein, another creator or two have some words on the subject:


 We all probably know who Pablo Picasso is, but the creator that my co-worker told me about is Banksy.  Banksy is a grafitti artist from England.  His identity is unknown, but his work is seen and known in many places around the world, commenting on social and political issues.

The above telephone booth is the work of Banksy in downtown LA. 

This link leads to another London telephone booth work by Banksy and some other results of creativity at work.  

My co-worker and I also discussed what determines the value of the work someone produced.  He commented that a lot depends on where the work came from.  As an example, wise words always seem to be more profound to a reader when he/she knows the quote came from someone famous.  Jay Leno said, "You're not famous until my mother has heard of you."  Blogging is one way to get your ideas out to the world, show your creative voice, while utilizing the information at your fingertips.  You never know, one day someone's mother may have heard of you. 


5 comments:

  1. Today my coworker showed me a Mormon message about Creating today. I really loved it; it may not exactly fit your post, but I thought of it when I read this.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJC1sRJ8F0Q

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. I think this links with the book I have been reading The Public Domain about using ideas from the past to create. Everyone uses and borrows ideas from everyone else. We are all a big mass of consumers that then go and create in a sense and those that are noticed are often the ones that we think are important because they have put themselves out there or are already well known. But someone might have created the exact same thing or had the same thought but it doesn't mean anything until you mean something. Not sure if that made sense...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit that the photo with Banksy's name on it caught my eye. It's amazing how he has been able to become a world famous artist through a medium usually connected to delinquents like graffiti is. He had a documentary in the Sundance Film Festival awhile back called Exit Through The Gift Shop. I heard that when he was in town for the festival he did some art in Salt Lake, but unfortunately they just painted over it. Too bad. In some parts people pay big bucks for his work. I tagged two websites in diigo for anyone who wants learn more about Banksy. He's done some really good art. Here are the links for anyone who would like to see it.

    http://www.banksy.co.uk/index2.html

    http://www.banksyfilm.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, after I posted I realized that Ashley had already linked to the first website I put on here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found it interesting that the creating examples you used were very public and visible. How does it change things when you make things, from the beginning, so that they end up in the public domain?

    ReplyDelete